By the mid-1850s, the railroad
craze hit central Ohio hard. Pioneer
railroads that were to evolve into portions of the Baltimore and Ohio, NEW YORK
CENTRAL, and Pennsylvania Railroads connected the state capital, Columbus, with
the canals, Lake Erie, and the Ohio River.
The region was crisscrossed by numerous other lines by 1880; Columbus
became the main hub while other “railroad centers” included Circleville,
Delaware, Mansfield, Mount Vernon, Newark, and Zanesville. Hundreds of depots were built throughout
central Ohio to serve passengers, baggage, mail, and freight. Depots became the center of commerce and
activity at communities — big and small. With the discontinuance of passenger
trains across the Buckeye State, many depots disappeared — many were
demolished, others relocated for non-railroad uses. This book offers a pictorial history of
selected depots, centering around Columbus and Franklin County, using old
postcards and vintage photographs.
Author Bio: Mark J. Camp teaches geology at the University of Toledo and
serves as a national director of the Railroad Station Historical Society. His
other titles include Railroad Depots of Northwest Ohio, Railroad Depots of West
Central Ohio, Railroad Depots of Northeast Ohio, and Ohio Oil and Gas.
Be aware that the accuracy of some of Arcadia’s home-spun histories is sometimes questionable. Hence, your NYCSHS directors would be interested in reviews by knowledgeable members.
Published by Arcadia Publishing, this softcover retails for $22, with NYCSHS members paying only $17.60. Shipping is extra and Ohio residents must add 8% Ohio sales tax.