Operating Era: 1923-1965. Chesapeake & Ohio, New York Central,
Pittsburgh & Lake Erie, Pittsburgh, McKeesburg &
Youghiogheny. The United States Railway Administration confiscated
the railroads in December 1917. It
prepared designs for standard freight cars. The 70-ton hopper design
was not produced but NYC
and C&O did so in the 1920`s to the tune of over 20,000 cars.
Produced with a center clamshell
hopper, these were replaced by sawtooth ones in the late 1930`s.
C&O received and/or rebuilt over 7,000 cars between 1923-27. Class
H7-6 are newly built cars,
delivered with condensed C&O roadname lettering. H7-7/8/9 were
rebuilt from older cars and had
peaked ends and standard Roman C&O lettering.
NYC received 13,800 cars, 9,000 of which were lettered for the parent
road. The cars differed
the C&O cars by using Enterprise door locks where the C&O cars
used Wine door locks. The
hopper door hangers also differed. The cars ran as built until 1937
when the center hopper was
replaced. The cars were renumbered at that time.
All new upgraded decals!!
You must choose between NYC or PMcK&Y on checkout!!!