Operating Era: 1916-1964.
New York Central, Michigan Central, Nickel Plate Road, Lake Erie
& Western, Cincinati Northern, Duluth, South Shore & Atlantic,
Rutland, Cleveland, Cincinati, Chicago & St. Louis, Minneapolis
& St. Louis. NYC produced 9,500 of these cars simultaneously with
6,500 all steel cars of similar
design. The DS cars
were a continuation
of the gradual improvement of car building over the previous twenty
years. The railroad had
built tens of thousands of 36 foot DS cars during that period, first as
truss rod cars, then with
steel underframes and finally with steel ends. The 1916 design simply
added four feet to the
length of the car to accommodate a second door. The automobile trade
was burgeoning and
all of NYC's house cars of this period were build for double duty of box
and auto service.
Cars were installed for the parent company plus Michigan Central,
Cincinnati Northern and
Nickel Plate's Lake Erie & Western. Most cars were rebuilt to all
steel beginning in 1935 but
some ran as late as 1948.Decals included, but does not include trucks or couplers.
You Must Select Road Name