The ALCo S-2 and S-4 were 1,000-horsepower (746 kW) diesel electric switchers produced by ALCo and Canadian licensee Montreal Locomotive Works (MLW).
Powered by turbocharged, 6-cylinder ALCo 539 diesel engines, the two locomotives differed mainly in their trucks: the S-2 had ALCo "Blunt" trucks; the S-4, AAR type A switcher trucks.
A total of 1,502 S-2s were built from August 1940 to June 1950; 797
S-4s were built from June 1949 to August 1957. The S-4 was first
produced in Canada, with ALCo production beginning in June 1949.
The S-2 and S-4 were designed as rail yard switchers, meant to
replace older, less efficient, and more demanding steam switchers.They were a success, with many remaining in service today.
The locomotives' exterior was styled by ALCo engineer Ray Patten, who used curves in a mild application of Art Deco principles.
The S-2 and S-4 are distinguishable externally from the very
similar S-1 and S-3 660 hp (492 kW) switchers in that they have a larger
exhaust stack with an oblong base and a larger radiator shutter area on
the nose sides. The S-1/S-3 radiator shutter area is taller than it is
wide, while the S-2/S-4 radiator area is wider. The larger stack is due
to turbocharging. The carbody and cab of late S-2s are nearly
indistinguishable from those of S-4s. Hence, a truck swap can cause many
to misidentify a unit.
• Detailed, Durable ABS Body
• Die-Cast Truck Sides, Pilots and Fuel Tank
• Metal Chassis, Handrails and Horn
• Hand painted Engineer Cab Figures
• Authentic Paint Scheme
• Metal Wheels, Axles and Gears
• (2) Remote-Controlled Proto-Couplers
• Prototypical Rule 17 Lighting
• Directionally Controlled Constant Voltage LED Headlights
• Illuminated LED Number Boards
• (2) Precision Flywheel-Equipped Motors
• Operating ProtoSmoke Diesel Exhaust
• Onboard DCC/DCS Decoder
• Locomotive Speed Control In Scale MPH Increments
• Proto-Scale 3-2 3-Rail/2-Rail Conversion Capable
• 1:48 Scale Proportions
• Proto-Sound 3.0 With The Digital Command System Featuring Freight Yard Proto-Effects
• Unit Measures: 12” x 2 3/4” x 3 3/4”
• Operates On O-31 Curves
Pre-Order by June 8, 2022 Expected Delivery 2023
Two road numbers - Atlas selects road numbers!!
MSRP $619.95 NYCSHS Member Price $557.96 and that is 10% off MSRP.
Discount based upon discount Atlas gives us!!!
Shipping is extra and Ohio residents pay 8% Ohio Sales Tax.